Monday, December 7, 2009

I just bought what?!?!


Read the article and tell me who you blame and why. I picked this article because it talks about how states have different laws to prevent something like this happening and ways to protect consumers. Since we are learning about local governments right now I thought it would be a good fit.

My take? I think you better be sure you know what you're agreeing to before you sign anything. A store/dealership/whatever cannot hold you hostage. This woman should have just said, "please give me my car back, I am leaving."

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/11/ia_hyundai_sale.html

Copy and paste the link into your favorite web browser. Blogger isn't playing nice with my links lately!

39 comments:

  1. I blame the manager or whoever is in charge. Some managers may press their employees to sell a certain number of cars. This woman is 77 years old so it may be hard for her to be stern and stand up for herself. But she should have made sure she knew and read over what she signed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really judge either side, mainly because when reading the article, I couldn't help but think that the woman's claims seemed extremely one-sided. I just find it hard to believe that a Hyundai dealership would go out of their way to force a random old woman to buy their product! Granted, one paragraph does show that the owner of the dealership is disputing her claims, but it doesn't really go into any more detail than that. With seven paragraphs detailing the woman's plight, one providing the recent history of her legal situation, and only one to claim any opposition, and in a highly vague manner at that, I just think that the information I have is too biased for me to make a fair judgement.
    -Jordan Broadway

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it was both the woman and the dealerships fault. the saleswoman pretty much tricked the old woman into buying the car but the old woman should have read the paper before she signed it, as you should do with any agreement needing your signature. they didnt tell her exactly what the paper was agreeing to so she should have known that something was wrong. she said she was tired and just wanted to go home so she signed it. i dont think its right that a staff member seceretly checked the old womans credit rating. now she has to pay waaay more money than she already had to and the dealership knew that would happen. i think its mostly the owner of the dealerships fault because they had to of known what their sales people were doing.

    -Britanae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, the truth is no car dealership can REALLY hold you hostage...I mean, yes they may be too aggressively pushing something for you to buy on you but they cannot hold you "hostage". Her and the car dealership are at fault; for not just doing what was asked(gving her the routine check-up) and her for not just getting up and walking out. And if they "held her hostage" in a room, physically-meaning when she tried to walk out they blocked, she should have threatened to call the police. The car dealership needs to do what they're asked, not what they want. She was also dumb for signing that paper; she shouldn't have agreed to anything, regardless of what they were trying to coerce her to do..
    -Diamond 4A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe its the managers and the saleswomen, mostly the saleswomen because she forced her aggressively. Of course the lady is going to be scared, she didn't want anything to happen to her. The manager is also to blame because he would've fired the saleswomen, and not let her close the deal. The saleswomen should especially face punishment because she fooled the old lady on to signing a paper thinking that she was only going to drive the car. Then the next day she figured out they fooled her onto signing a paper saying she bought it, and the deal is closed. Lets see if her problem gets fixed in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article is hilarious!! I believe the Hyundai dealer was just doing her job as, a saleswomen to sale a car . The old women had the right to her needs , if she didn’t want the car she didn’t have to buy it. Most old ladies find it hard to protect themselves and feel as if everyone is forcing them to do things. When the old lady stated that she was held hostage in the room, she was probably over exaggerating the situation. Also keep in mind, the women was 77 years old , and probably developed short term memory to cause her to change the whole situation. But I do believe, its the dealers fault for confusing the old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I blame the old women for letting them do this to her. She could have just asked for her car and left and if they refused she could simply call the police. It was wrong what they did but what happened was her fault. She wasn't standing up for herself and she was letting them do whatever they wanted. She should have never signed the paper or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blame no one but the woman. She didnt say anyone was physically forcing her to sign the paper or drive the car home, so therefore she wasnt forced to do anything. She is responsible for what she did. If she felt cornered or harrassed she could have called someone or frankly just left and came back another day with someone younger. Yeah she is an older lady but that is no excuse. If grandma can drive o the road then grandma can control what she signs!
    -Sabria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im No Really sure who to blame .
    1.The Dealership ppl knew that the lady was 77 years old and probably had in mind if they fill her up with some information about the car or wateva she wouldnt really understandd and agree. 2.The old lady should have just told them "NO ,Change my oil So I can leave" but she didnt she singnedd some little dumb paper and probably didnt even it Bacause they so called explained it to.
    So im Not Really suree Butt I do think the ppl Should be sued b/c of the mere Fact that the lady does not want the car and didnt even want it To Begin With....

    Kenisha Angelia Smith 4A Mr.weaver i got it right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it's the ladies fault. She let them take advantage of her without standing up for herself. Really 8 hours? Why didn't she leave as soon as her oil change was done.But, I do feel bad about how the saleswomen pushed her into buying a new car. She told her she could take it out and bring it back the next day if she didn't like it but, gave her a completely different document to sign. The Women told the saleswomen she wouldn't be able to afford it and the saleswomen insisted that she should stop paying for her medicare to pay for the car. She "allegedly" suggested that a 77 year old lady should stop paying for her insurance to buy a brand new car. This shows they really don't care about their customers, just their commission.Only if that statement was true though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't sure how to comment on this particular article. At first I choose the elder woman's side because the dealership personnel practically forced the car on her. But than as I read on I started to think that the old woman was merely a fool. She didn't stand up for herself and she merely stood by and let them force that car on her! The dealership personnel were just plain stupid to force this car on her just because she is elderly. (Stupid people.) I bet that the manager wanted to sell cars because his business was going under due to the economy. But that still doesn't give them the right to so called "hold the woman hostage." And why did that saleswoman suggest for her to stop paying her health insurance!!! Is she an idiot!!! Clearly this dealership doesn't care about their customers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's mine above Mr. Weaver. 4A class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my opinion it is the lady's fault. She is of old age, and she has been around a car dealership a few times, and I am sure this is not her first car she has purchased. She should have know how pressed car dealerships are about making there deals. Especially, in this economy, I bet the dealership would want anyone to buy cars. She was in there for 8 hours, within the first 2 hours she should have said give me my car back, and I am leaving, but she let herself get taken advantage of. It is truly sad that she is stuck in a bad situation, but if she would have took a stand she wouldn't have to pat all of this money, and use her brother's car to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was wrong that the dealership was trying to force her to buy the new vehicle. I think it was due to her age that led to this issue; even though she could could of said she didn't want the car and that she was leaving, what would of guarenteed that they would of gave the keys to her car.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my opinion, i think that we shouldn't judge wat happened at all. I say this mainly because we were not there and we truly don't know what happened nor the situation. Maybe if there was a way to get a video tape of the situation we can know what happened and who did what.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I blame the women because I don’t believe they literally held her hostage. But I do understand that she may have felt pressured because my mom recently bought a Hyundai and they were pressing her to buy it because they haven’t been selling cars. But my mom left, & told them she would come back if she wanted to because they were pressing her too much, and shoving all these papers in her face to sign. So the women could have easily just walked out. But I do believe the dealers probably tried to take advantage of her just because she was a senior citizen. & I think Hyundai is just loosing business so there trying to bring there sales back up.
    -Barbara Knight 4a

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well personally I think the old woman and the car dealer/owner are both in the wrong. Just like my mans Mr. Weaver said she could've blatantly said " I DON'T WANT A CAR!!". But instead she let them attack her. I also think the management was wrong because they were trying to be slick. They knew that if the keep nagging and attacking a 77 year old women that soon she will snap and do whatever she can so they will leave her alone which was signing the papers. If I worked there I would quit even if I wasn't involved in the incident because people these days just dont care and the old woman was already in the hole for $7,000 and they knew that but who cares we need sales so they are going to put her deeper down by saying she owes $26,000. All I can do is shake my head.
    -Bellyflop

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everyone was wrong!!The sales people were wrong for forcing her to buy a new car knowing that she only wanted to get an oil change.I dont believe that they should have aggressively forced her to do anything against her will. Also the old lady was naive for going along with it.

    danielle cunningham

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...this is extremely disturbing! I blame the sales-people, for forcing her to "try out" the car even though she didn't want to, and I blame the manager of Hyndai for not interfering with the situation. Now because of this, she can't have her old car back! I hope this doesn't happen to me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its the dealerships fault because they pressured her to get a new car. They took advantage of her old age and of her being tired so she would buy the car. Also they tricked her by making her sign the paper and they told her she was just going to borrow it not that she was going to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i personally feel like this whole story was a big lie but, if she was really feeling so pressured, all the lady had to do was leave and take her car somewhere else.no one put a gun to her head and forced her to do anything. if this happened to her, it is all her fault because she shouldn't have signed the paper
    -natauzsha jones 4a

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Honestly Belive That The Old Lady Could've Stood Up For Her Self && Expressed The Fact That She Came For A Routine Checkup, Not To Be Pressured Into Buyinq A New Car.I Aslo Belive This Her Fault Because She's Old Enough To Know That She Needs To Read Anything She's Supposed To Be Signing & Then Think On What She Read.The Way The Economy Is Today I Would Read Anything Before I Sign It Because Salespeople Are Pressuring Citizens To Buy Some Of Thier Mechandise So They Can Make Money."Held Hostage" Or Not,The Woman Could've Kindly Said No && Maybe Even Threatened To Get The Authorities Involved.But She Didn't Go To Any Of Those Extents & Eventually She Got Stuck w/ Higher Payments & A Buick She's Borrowinq To Get To Work In The Morninq.Sometimes It Pays To Be Assertive.

    BUT The Dealership Went Against The 4th Admendment In A Way Because They Reviewed
    Her Credit w/o Her Consent && Her Credit Is Her Private Matter && The 4th Admendment States Her Right To Privacy.

    Paris Smith 4.B

    ReplyDelete
  24. I blame this on the car dealership. The woman had just came to get her oil changed but they decided they would not take no for an answer. They were taking advantage of that old woman even though she said shes not interested. I dont believe she could have just took her car and left because I dont think that they would have given her car back unless it was the one they wanted her to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel that it's the car dealers fault because the lady said that they were holding her hostage and since that I believe they shouldn't have made her pay that money for a car she didn't even want and then forced her to use her brothers car to get back and fourth to work to me that was unfair to her and to her brother.

    Sabrina S.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW thats really interesting......i think that its her fault for not making it clear enough that she doesnt want the vehicle she could have threatned to call the police or something if she didnt want the vehicle i cant really blame the car dealership though they are obviously at fault but we are in a recession and they are just trying to make some money though it was rather inappropriate that they had to do that......

    ReplyDelete
  27. i think that in any agreement you should sheck it before signing it so that you know what your getting yourself into. my mom always reads evrything before she signs it. i think that they are both at fault. they shouldnt have held her for that long and they also shouldnt promise things they cant keep(when they told her she could bring it back). the woman although tired should have read the paper to make sure if she already knew that they were secretely doing things and pressuring her.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this story is dumb. I really only have sympathy because of her age. She should have done the rational thing and called the police. I mean people call the police for the dumbest things like not having enough chicken nuggets at McDonalds, so why didnt she call the police? Signing a paper you didnt read is just setting yourself up. What if it read "if you are an hour late on your monthly payment we will charge you $500 a minute." A little irrational but still. She can't say she didnt know because its HER signature that SHE signed. If she wasn't so old, I would have just been like oh well. Sucks for you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I blame the women mostly for the situation because even though she is 77 years old she still has the right to say no and she should of just done that. The dealership was only doing their job which is to sell cars and persuade individuals to change up their plan and yes buy a new car. You cant really blame the dealership because you don't hear much of their side except that they're trying to fix it, and the women keeps blaming them for all this nonsense if she was so old how she remembered all those details. Sheesh old people should just stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The article is to one sided. I would really need to hear both sides of the stories because i dont see why a hyundai employee would trick or force a 77 year old women into buying a new car. Maybe there is a explanation to why thoese papers where sighned or why her car was sold. If the 77 year old women can not get her car back then a court case in necessary. If hyndai can get her or repay her for her car then a court case will not even be necessary.
    -Donte Adams 4B

    ReplyDelete
  31. On one hand I blame the owner of the dealership. Whoever they are they need to keep their employees in check. They're supposed to SELL the cars, not force them on people who obviously don't want to buy them. On the other hand I blame Audrey for not getting out of there quick enough. It's like being in the mall and those people at the carts trying to sell you whatever they're selling, you just have to not pay them any attention and walk away sometimes. But I think both parties are at fault in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i blame both of them she shouldve read the paper but the owner of the dealership shouldnt have trick her.she couldve said no too it was not like they were going to kill her if she didnt buy a car from them

    ReplyDelete
  33. ummmm I have to Blame the Dealership simply because you don't do things like that no means no point blank period.. And twin Audrey Couldnt leave because her car was still there.. but what she should've done was call the police... and they could've came resolved the situation....the employees should be fired and she should be givin the car free of charge for all her troubles... what they did wasn't fair at all taking advantage of the poor woman!!! shame on them!!

    -Kadi'jah Battle

    ReplyDelete
  34. I believe it is the dealers fault for pressuring such an elderly woman to do such a thing, I hope she sues EVERYTHING the dealer has.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i think taht its the lady's fault because you dont have to do what somone tells you to do. your intitled to freedom of....well everthing she should've mustered up the courage to say NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is all.
    -Cameron W.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I believe it would have to be the lady to blame. The Hyundai dealer can't force you to sign anything; It's in your hands. I agree with Mr. Weaver that the women should have just said, "please give me my car back." She could have just called somebody she trusted such as her brother to ask for advice on what to do. The article doesn't really specify the dealer's point of view it's mostly from McKnight's view.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i think its the dealerships fault for basically forcing the old woman to buy the car. i mean it was clear she didnt want to, but they made her feel obligated to. but it was also the womans fault for not fully reading the papers before signing them. she fell into the dealerships scam.

    -Sara Jane Iral 4A

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am not going to spend $20,000 just to shut someone up.

    With that, the comment section is closed.

    ReplyDelete