
Sometimes I do not understand society. Why would someone stand idle and watch while someone else is brutally raped? I never understood the concept of “no snitching.” Did it ever occur to the people who believe in this mantra that if they actually reported the people who commit these horrible crimes that they’d be in prison and wouldn’t be able to harm the “snitchers?” Do we really want to live in a society where those who strong arm and intimidate have the power?
I want to know what YOU think. Read the article below and post your comment.
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Health/witnesses-california-gang-rape-scared-call-police/story?id=9054150
The unfortunate fact is, most humans aren't quite as logical as one would expect. While many of us may be heroes in our fantasies, fear and self preservation are perfectly natural reactions to witnessing a violent crime. It may be easy as outsiders to say what the right and wrong behaviors are in a situation, but we must ask ourselves: If we were to live in "a society where those who strong arm and intimidate have the power," would we truly be willing to mark ourselves as potential threats to those who have built kingdoms on fear and suffering? Sadly, I think most of us would rather choose to continue living a miserable status quo.
ReplyDelete-Jordan Broadway
I find it sad that people could stand there and watch that... From previous reports I heard about this says that the girl was drunk. It is true that she made a mistake, by drinking at all, but she didn't deserve to have something like that happen to her. As for those who did not say anything about it, they should have some feeling of remorse for what they did. They could have spoke up, they could have stopped the act, but they didn't, for the fear of being called snitches is just unacceptable. Being called a snitch will go away, but the pain, and suffering that could have been stopped, will remain in that girl's mind for a long time...
ReplyDelete-Jordan McRae
things that go on "now a days" are rediculous, I think that being called a snitch does'nt compare to a girl gettin raped and violently attacked by a group of individuals.
ReplyDelete-Stephon St.Cyr
Just by reading and watching this news report made my stomach turn and I had chipotle lol. But seriously the world has changed so much that people will take the rep or "street cred" over someones life. Personally I dont snitch on the little things but sitiuations like this why wouldn't you snitch? Would you snitch if that was your sister? Cousin? Friend? Or Relative? And that little girl was someones sister, cousin, friend etc. And the thing that made it worse was the guy who was interviewed said he watched her get raped for about 2 hours and he didnt do anything. That girl and that guy is scared for life. And to think that those 10 guys did that the are cruel, heartless, and not to mention desperate. I hope those people can slepp at night. but yea to sum it all up I think do whats right and if snitchings right do it!
ReplyDelete- James N. Bell Jr.
I heard about this story last week and I talked about it with my friends. I couldn't really say what would I do if I were him. Because I never experienced anything like that. If I was the victim, I would want to be helped, I mean who wouldn't. But alot of people fear for their life. Many people always say if they see this happen they will call the police. But when they do see it happen they don't. But I want to know is, why is the witness watching her get raped for 20 minutes?20 minutes is a long time. What was he doing for 20 minutes? What's so interesting about a girl getting raped that you had to watch it for 20 minutes? When saw the headlines on the news, I was like ok well I guess he was scared until I heard the 20 minute part. He might as well been an accessory. Its wrong.
ReplyDeleteI believe , usally people don't want to be snitched on because of the fact that, there scared of being prisoned or being konwn. I belive it is necessary to "tell" on someone if needed. S.thiam
ReplyDeleteRegardless of who calls you anything, it's not okay to stand by and watch injustice happen to someone and keep quiet in fear of having a label. One of the actual dictionary terms of a "snitch" is a theif, and you are considered a theif if you rob someone of their right to have their attacker brought to justice. The term "snitch" is a label, and someone would be willing to let someone suffer and possibly DIE, just to avoid being called a name that is inappropriately used anyways? :et it be one of your family members that it happend to, and you'd be ready to kill the person who saw but kept quiet. And its not a matter of safety either: Thats what witness protection programs are for, so being afraid the person may kill you is no excuse. If you dont stop injustice, you are agreeing with it; and that is exactly what this case was...
ReplyDelete-Diamond
If they called the police they wouldn't be snitching, they would be helping. Their primary reason for calling the police shouldn't be to get the attackers, it should be to help the girl. They shouldn't consider themselves as being held accountable because it's not thier fault she got raped. But they could have stopped it because they would be mad if they were getting beaten and people were just standing around watching because they were scared and didn't want to snitch until after the attack.
ReplyDelete-Chimezie Ndukuba
I think that watching and not calling the police or making it noticable to some one that would help should be a crime. It is not fair for her to get raped when some one could have helped.
ReplyDeleteThe boy that did not help saying that he could have probably had something to do with the rape because that should be an atomatic response.
-katherine green
I mean i understand where the stop snitching comes from especially if snitching is putting your life in danger. But on the other hand if that was you you would definetely want someone to snitch and call the police to help you. In that situation i dont understand why someone didnt just leave the scene and go home and anymously call the police or even send a text message to tell someone at home to call the police. I guess this is one of those things when shock turns to complete stupidity.
ReplyDeleteSabria
I get the fact that snitching would threaten the peoples lives but just standing there and taking pictures is still pretty bad. One of the people taking pictures could have at least walked away to where they couldnt be seen and called the police.
ReplyDelete-Jose Chavez
I'm confused by the witnesses a little. They say they were to scared to help and didn't want to tell anyone what happened because they were afraid and didn't want to be labeled "snitches" but, they are being interviewed by the news a month later. What is the difference between now and then? Salvador Rodriguez says "I mean I have to walk down the streets now in fear of my life". So why didn't he tell the police before? I find it horrible how 20+ people didn't find anything wrong with the rape. How they stood there and took pictures of the young lady, not thinking of how it will effect her life. It just shows people how sick the world really is and how people don't care for anyone other than themselves.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I dont think that would be snitching because they would be helping the girl out. How could 20 people stand there for that long and watch a crime like that but not do anything. That makes no sense. Either they are heartless or just stupid. If that was them they would want somebody to say something. I can understand why you would be scared to call the police because then people would be mad at you for turning them in but still its not right to watch something like that happen and not tell anyone. So in this case snitching would have been the right thing to do.
ReplyDelete-Britanae
While i was reading the article i could not believe what i was reading when did being portrayed as a "snitch" become more important than trying to help a helpless individual especially while that person is getting raped by a gang. All those people just watching and even some taking pictures and laughing as if it was all a joke. But yet if they were in that situation they would be screaming for help and wondering how all these people could be so cold hearted. What has our world come to were the reputation you have around your "hood" has become more important than a person's life what a shame. They helped at the end but i wouldn't of even wrote about it because the situation should of never happened.
ReplyDelete-Ediberto Escobar Jr-4B
Victoria W.
ReplyDeleteTell you truth, I don't know how I feel on the subject. On one hand, if someone doesn't want to say anything, thats their choice. But if they know something, they she be charged with obstruction of Justice because they didn't want to say anything on the matter, even though they witnessed a rap. But on the other hand, there should be a law stating that if you witnessed a crime you have to be put on the stand to state your account on the story. If the witness was too scared than thats to bad. But doesn't that go against, " You have the right to remain silent?" The government has no law on "If someone witnesses a crime, you have to state your account of the story." So the witness will just have to feel guilt. Other than that, the police, or government can say anything about it. Since the witness doesn't want to be called a "snitch", he should be called a "punk" instead because he doesn't want to get in the way of a city gang! That's ludicrous reasoning and the witness should give his account on what happened. More and more people are getting raped, and if this person would just tell the authorities what he witnessed, that'll mean more vermin off the street and in Jail. Even though they will be in jail for only a year or two.
Victoria Wilson ~4A
I feel very sad that the happened to her, why do people do that to little girls. How could those people continue with their lives knowing they did something wrong. Even though he did snitch he did the right thing to save her. Luckily the girl let him help because maybe another girl wouldn't even trust another guy after that situation. The man she be careful know because if the gang members friends get caught something will happen to him. Hope the girl will feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteJason Aloyo-Period 4A
What happened to that girl was tragic and everyone involved should be punished especially the one's who just sat and watched for more than two hours as a young girl was repeatedly raped. This seriously saddens me that Americans can help deliver justice yet they expect it to be given to them!
ReplyDeletePaige Jackson 4B
Honestly, somthing this serious and grousome needed to be reported. i agree about him not wanting to put his own life in danger but still and all what took place was inhumane and uncalled for. when it comes down to thing this serious you have you really dont have a choice. in some they enfoce the good semaretine law which state if you see any illeqal act being commited you have an obligation to report it or you will be convicted yourself, this law was advertised in the hit show "seinfeld" when him and his friends were sentenced to a year for not reporting a robery, so i do belive in telling somthing that need to be told but in the same token you shouldnt be a tattle tail either.
ReplyDeleteIsaiah DeVonn Clark 4B 11-17-09
Ugh, that is just sick! I see what they mean by not wanting to be called "snitch" and all, but really, it's not like the mobs gonna go after them. Really, if he'd just asked to remain anonymous and reported it at the time that poor girl wouldn't be totally scarred now. Her life is most likely entirely ruined now, all because people didn't have the guts enough to tell somebody. Can't you go to jail for witnessing but not doing something about it? I'd think about that before I even go and worry about being a snitch. They have witness protection agencies for that!
ReplyDeleteKristina Sedgwick. 4A
m very disappointed that the man didn't say anything only because he didn't want to be called a snitch. if he had said that he didn't want to risk his life getting into gan ffairs then, i would have totally understood. it kills me to know that poeple out there have so much pride that they wouldn't even help a girl being abused like that.however, the world could be alot more peaceful if people wouldn't put themselves in the situations, like the girl drinking. if she wasn't drunk, that may not have happened to her that day
ReplyDelete-natauzsha jones 4a
the no snitching thing is crazy because if u see someone getting rape why would you not call the police like omg come on now. it does not matter about the stupid snitching thing that is a person and it is not something like at school that is different. people now a days r crazy. people need help and the girl is stupid 2 cause she was drunk and was walking by her self, if she was with someone then maybe she would have not gotten raped.
ReplyDelete~Heather Clark 4B~
Its unfortunate that the girl was raped. People need to wake up and realize that society is going crazy. I understand people are scared, but sitting there and watch someone getting raped for two hours? When someones life is at stake nothing should matter. A person should do everything in there power to help that person. This stop snitching nonsense needs to get out of the minds of our society now.
ReplyDeleteDonte Adams 4B
Reading this article made me mad, at the fact that the witness could have done something to help stop the victim from being raped. I understand the so called "no snitching rule" some people believe they wont be cool if they snitch, they're also afraid of others opinions, and believe they will get harmed by the suspects of the crime if they snitch. But when it comes to someone being physically harmed or putting a victims life into danger, yu shouldn't even think about the so called "no snitching rule". Not attempting to help the victim, is as bad as committing the crime. If I was the victim I would want to be helped, & I think everyone would. If I was a witness to a crime like thiss, I would leave and call the police anonymously. I wouldn't care of other people's opinions, because I know I did the right thing by helping someone stayy alive, or at least trying my best to help.
ReplyDelete~Barbara Knight ~4A
i think that he was apart of it in some way. he obviously didnt think it was wrong because he didnt do anything to help. y would you sit there and watch for 20 min. at someone being raped? thats jus wrong. at least if anything he should have left and not watched because that tells me that he enjoyed watching it. like even if it was his "homie" he still knew it wasn't right. i think that if the guy who did it went 2 jail then what can he do 2 harm you?
ReplyDeletehonestly speaking i think it's completely disappointing and unacceptable that people could actually say that they didnt report this brutal crime, all because they were afraid to be called snitches. i strongly disagree wtih that because some one could have called the police and had their name as anonymous. if you should ask in my opinion,i would have found the best and safest way in order to report the case while avoiding being public enemy at the same time
ReplyDeletei think its a difference between snitching to get someone in trouble and snitching to save someone's life. People probably dont snitch to protect their so called "rep" but what they need to think about is if it was you in trouble wouldnt you want someone to help you..?
ReplyDelete-Cameron W.
In this society now that we live in, it is considered unethical within some groups of people to snitch. I feel it may be this way because people don't want to be the person who snitch or told on someone which led to another person to go to jail. And even if the person is sent to jail, the people associated with him or her in jail can be the the one who will harm you in the end.
ReplyDeleteMani O.
This is an outrage. The act of people who are illiterate, outragious, idiotic neanderthals. Why? Is the question i ask myself as i go through the day and hear things like this. What an unjust act. The people who did this have no clue what they've done. They haven't just raped an innocent they've taken away her all. They have taken her innocence, her sanity, and killed her if not physically, but emotionally. What in peoples right mind makes them think that they can do such things to people that's emoral. The person who stood by and watched as this act was taking place is as and forever guilty, in my eyes, as the people who actually comitted the crime. What has our society come to that we as people let actions such as this happen to the innocent. What's next? Are we going to stand by and watch as little babys are being kidnapped everyday? As people are killing one another over and over as we watch? Where is the justice? There are and always will be good people in the world. But thet fact that there are more people who are worried about what others think about them is the main concern. Why do most of us feel that it is more important what others think of our reputation then what we feel and know is right. Are we so bent on what others think of us that we don't care anymore of what we think of ourselves? What have we come to?
ReplyDeleteSincerlly Nodia Ifill
4B
I think this is ridiculous and i am appalled by what i have seen. I myself have been put in a situation when i was reffered to as a snitch, it is overwhelming but then again that is no excuse. No matter what happened i would have left to go call 911. These people wouldn't like it if something to this extent or worse happened to their mother, sister, girlfriend, etc. It infuriates me that their are sick people in this world that we encounter everyday and don't even know it. I think back to what happened to me and wonder what would life be like if i didn't.
ReplyDeleteEfosa Osayande
-1A
This was just terrible. How could that guy say that he could have done something but then say it wasn't his responsibility to do it. How can somebody just shrug off the feeling of being able to stop a rape but didn't because of their own stupidity. If he was being attacked and raped I'm sure he would want help, but to him if it's someone else then it isn't his problem. He could have simply called 911 anonymously and saved the girl without anyone knowing because of the amount of people who saw it.
ReplyDeleteI think it is sad that a young woman should get raped by a group of low life men. I dont think its her fault for going out and having some fun by drinking. I think its all on the gang of boys, for doing it but I also blame the witness for not speaking up because they didnt want to be called a snitch. If it was up to me I would send the gang of boys to jail and the WITNESS along with them for letting that to continue when it could have been stopped a while back.
ReplyDelete-Demont C.
In most cases snitching is unneccesary , but in this case no. Bet if he had ten gay guys raping him he would want someone to testify, but then again he could of liked it. People like him need to be incarcerated. End of story.
ReplyDeleteIn socieety today people say snitches get stitches,in this case someone should have "snitched" because the person who did it won't find out who did it if he is jail. Done!!
ReplyDeleteTo clear up what the term"stop snitching" means that if you are living the street life or as some would same in the streets and you carry yourself as a gangsta, for example, you and a group of rob somebody and you are the only one who gets caught and you say something like, "but Keith and Roderick were with me" to the police, that's considered snitching. But if you are a law abiding citizen which is a term people in the streets use meaning that if you are a working man or woman , go to school everyday and are around people who are in the streets in a everyday situation(like you live in the hood but you are not a part of the strret life but you know the people who are because ya'll grew up together)and you just so happen to see a robbery take place, a murder, a rape or whatever and you tell the police, then that's not considered snitching. In my opinion, the situation with the girl who got raped and the boy watched but was not involved was just as wrong for not helping her and would face the same fate as the ones who actually comitted the act. Raping a woman is just low! In reference to the above statements about how the person you snitch on can't hurt you because they would be in jail is COMPLETELY not true and rather funny to me. The reason why I say this is because, in most if not all cases you have to face the the person in court. Did you know that court is open to the public and family is allowed to sit in the court room? Did you know that once on the stand, you are told to state your name and address for the court? Do you know the power of the internet and how easy it is for someone to obtain your personal info? And believe it or not hood news spread quick in prisons. Basically if you involve yourself in strret activity you can't snitch when the heat is on you or you see something especially if you care about your family. Even if you are a law abiding citizen sometimes you put your life and others in danger by getting involved with something that you don't have anything to do with. Livin in the hood can be hard, you mind your business to survive. If you don't live there you will never understand. Keith W.
ReplyDeleteIt shouldn't be called snitching if it involves someone's life being in danger. You shouldn't ask yourself what'll happen if you tell someone, you should ask what'll happen if you don't. The fact that there were 20 people standing around watching and even taking pictures with cell phone s they could've used to call or even text for help disgusts me. As far asi know all of those people are low-life, nasty, ignorant punks. All of America is talking and complaining about how we need change, but don't want to do anything about it. The night this girl got gang raped could've been the start, but it didn't happen apparently everyone's afraid of change. Joann B.
ReplyDeleteI think its more that the people who witnessed these events were not coming forward when the events were occuring not because they would be "snitches" but because they were afraid and used the "I didn't want to snitch" as an excuse to cover up for their being afraid. It is human nature to tryt and ignore the bad things that happen around them, call it a coping mechanism if you want. These witnesses of the crime most likely froze up and just didn't know what to do and were afraid themselves. Imagine that you were witnessing a violent crime that happened suddenly and within warning. Most people would freeze up and not know what to do. And when someone gets scared most of the time they ttry to cover up this fact of being scared with excuses. Like "Oh I didn't apply for that job because I knew I wouldn't get it.", etc, etc. Also people don't always realize that if they don't report a crime, it is less likely to come to the attention of the public. I personally believe this is partly due to the fact that media floods the modern day person with a large amount of negative news, so it kind of becomes an everyday thing probably making them believe someone else will take care of the problem. Granted this is human nature to react like this in the face of a violent or any kind of crime, but that doesn't mean we should just sit here and say "Oh its our nature we can't try and change it." People have to try harder to report the violence and crime around them. To make it easier people should start by getting used to reporting smaller crimes they see, because there are a lot of smaller crimes people will have a lot of practice and the ability to get used to reporting crimes, which in the long run will help them get used to reporting such violent crimes. No one should have to be alone in these violent crimes and they should get help prosecuting their agressor. Wouldn't you all want help if this happened to you? Or would you rather we just stand around while you're beaten and abused? I don't know but I think I would want to treat other people the way I want to be treated, so they treaat me the same in return.
ReplyDelete-Domenic Anderson
While I was reading this article, I was amazed by a lot of things that took place that night. first of its almost beyond belief that 10 young men would be so stupid to rape a defenseless girl, on top of that, they did it in an open area. Then, when i read that close to 20 people were standing around either just watching or even taking photos of the assult and were too scared to do anything about it, I started to get angry. I thought about how I would feel if some one i loved was raped or even if i was witnessing a rape, theres almost no doubt in my mind that i would either try to stop it or call the police. The fact that the only reason that the witnesses didnt step in is because they didnt want to be snitches says a lot about there character in my mind. But, I also realize that things like this will continue to happen in our society and i dont have control over that but in the end all I can control is what I do.
ReplyDelete-Nigel
if the witness truely cared but didnt want to be caught snitching, he could've just simply made the call to the police anonymously. though he claimed he wanted to help, he didn't and it didnt do much to testify after the situation happened. what happened to the girl was tragic and what that gang did was inhuman and coldhearted. i find the witness almost as wrong as the gang who did the rape because he just sat there and watched the whole thing without taking action. i also find it pretty dumb how he can go to the news station and talk about the situation when he's supposedly worried that the gang will find out he snitched on them; yet he cant make a call to the police when the situation happened? people are really dumb these days...
ReplyDelete-Sara Jane Iral, 4A
That is hard to believe that someone would not help a person in need. It was wrong for him to watch and not come forward and speak up. If it was his little sister, would he have a delayed reaction. Saying that you could have done something, doesnt make the situation better. It is not called snitching, it is called being a "hero". He could have stopped many other outbreaks or possibilities of rape. -Danielle Cunnigham
ReplyDeletei think its sad, how there was witnesses that saw her being raped and didnt even helped her, or said anything. they are just as guilty as the people who raped her. its also unbelievable how greedy we humans are, and also how bazar we are.
ReplyDeleteNancy R.
Okay, the comments sections for this entry are now closed. Any comments posted after this one will be considered late.
ReplyDeleteMany good comments on a pretty shocking news story. I hope that everyone here would have the sense to do what is right and at least notify someone of the brutal criminal acts that are being committed.
I'm late but here goes...
ReplyDeleteIt's a sad story and very unfortunate. I have been in situations where i know what was done was wrong but i feared my safety and being called a "snitch." I can relate to Salvador Rodriguez but in this case it is unexceptable. Rape is a serious crime and I sure hope whoever was involved is caught. We should not be apathetic bystanders especially in this situtation.
~John A.
Class 4B
In this case snitching is saving someone and possibly their life. If i were that girl, i would'nt want people on the sidelines watching me for 2 hours, and either laughing, taking pictures, or even video recording. I would hope that either one of those people would try and help me, or for them to anonymously call the police. If the people that just watched thought that they would be snitching, then they are just as stupid, and they have no sympathy for the girl. If it was me watching i wouldv'e rather "snitched" and know that some girl is safe, then for me to have a guilty conscience because something bad happened to a girl and i could've been that one person to make that one difference
ReplyDelete*Chelsea Akibo-Betts